Sections of the international community (IC) have expressed their opposition to the implementation of the death penalty in Sri Lanka.
the Delegation of the European Union (EU) to Sri Lanka, the Missions of the EU member States in Sri Lanka, and the Diplomatic Missions of the Governments of Canada and Norway in Sri Lanka have made it known, in a letter to President Maithripala Sirisena, that they strongly and unequivocally oppose the capital punishment in all circumstances and in all cases.
“The death penalty is incompatible with human dignity, does not have any proven deterrent effect, and allows judicial errors to become fatal and irreversible,” they pointed out in the letter.
The Diplomatic Missions have requested the President to maintain the moratorium on the implementation of the death penalty and to uphold Sri Lanka’s tradition of opposition to capital punishment.
Latest from Dhanushika Niroshani
- Michelle Obama’s New Memoir, “Becoming,” Overflows With Wisdom About Relationships, Failure, and Living With Optimism
- Realistic Masks Made in Japan Find Demand from Tech, Car Companies
- Take A Weight Off: 'Grand K' Kilo Being Retired
- Tom Hardy made a CBE by Prince Charles
- Test cricket: Imperative to change the growing home dominance